In addition to the Personal Representative’s Fiduciary Duty to act in the estate's best interest, each state has guidelines and duties for the personal representative.
While these guidelines and duties vary by state, typically, the primary duties are to:
- Protect and preserve the assets of the estate
- Prepare an Inventory of the assets of the estate
- Open an Estate Account and transfer all cash assets to this account
- Notify heirs, creditors, and other interested parties
- Pay all debts of the decedent
- Pay any decedent’s taxes
- Pay any estate taxes
- Distribute the assets appropriately
For more information about the duties specific to your probate state, review the Administrative Duties document available in the administration section of your probate dashboard.