Simply put, a Will is a written document that provides requests and instructions for what to do with your estate—assets, social media, crypto, etc—after you've passed away.
Your Will can handle several important functions:
- Nominate an Executor who will be responsible for administering your estate and carrying out the provisions of your Will
- Nominate a Guardian for your minor children, ensuring that your children will be in safe and trusted hands
- Specify your final arrangements, including your preferences for the disposition of your remains, whether you want any funeral, ceremony, burial at sea, and/or any other details you feel are important
- Specific gifts to individuals, giving you an opportunity to show your love to friends and family
- Make a gift to charity, allowing you to help support a cause of your choosing.
Every state has its own rules and laws about what happens with and without a Will. We've built our software to be flexible and specific throughout the states we operate by working closely with experts who specialize in state-specific estate planning laws.